Why do you need a home inventory? You need a home inventory because you don’t just love your home – or condo, apartment or townhouse. You love what’s in it. Your furniture, artwork, electronics, kitchenware, sports equipment, clothing, jewelry and so much more.
And, when you add it all up, your personal belongings are usually worth more than you realize – $20,000, $40,000, maybe even more. It’s important to know how much, and to know exactly what you have, in case you ever need to file a personal property claim with your homeowners insurance or renters insurance carrier.
You might file a claim for the theft of your jewelry and electronics. Or, for the loss of all your possessions due to a fire. In these and other cases, would you know exactly what was missing and remember its cost or appraisal value?
With a home inventory, you don’t have to remember or guess. You have a record of everything you own, and you can easily submit it to your insurance carrier. It makes the claims process easier for everyone and comes to your aid in a stressful situation.
Your homeowners insurance or renters insurance should include personal property coverage to help you when your valued belongings are lost, stolen or damaged (check your policy for specific details). So, be sure you’re able to take full advantage of your coverage when you need it. Create your home inventory now, before something happens and you’re left wondering exactly how much you paid for your stereo system or how many karats your heirloom diamond earrings contained.
It’s your stuff. Know what you have and how much it’s worth. Then, sit back and relax, knowing you’re covered if it’s ever lost, damaged or stolen. These apps from Safeco allow you to catalog your personal belongings so you can be ready for a personal property claim when or if you need it.
- What: A free app for your iPhone or iPod that guides you through creating an inventory of your personal belongings and their value, using photos, receipts and more. It’s quick, easy, and you can upload your home inventory to the cloud – all for free.
- Who: For everyone – homeowners and renters alike, and not just Safeco customers. Really, everyone.
- Why: Because you love your stuff, and having a catalog of it comes in handy when you file a personal property claim on your homeowners insurance or renters insurance. It helps expedite the claim and ensure you’re properly reimbursed.
- Catalog items by room and/or by category.
- Take and store photos, scan barcodes, record purchase prices and enter other item details.
- Quickly browse your belongings in a virtual gallery.
- Save your home inventory as a spreadsheet or a PDF.
- Upload your inventory to secure cloud storage for free in case your mobile device is ever lost or damaged.
Bolder Insurance has a wealth of good information on their blog, as well as a friendly and knowledgeable staff that is happy to help find you the insurance you need at an affordable price. Since BI is a brokerage, they have the ability to search all of the major insurance carriers to find you the best rate that fit your needs.
Author's Bio: Jackie Friesth is the Marketing Director and a founding owner at Bolder Insurance in Louisville, Colorado. She is responsible for marketing programs, brand management, social media, and website development with over 20 years in the insurance industry. Jackie’s background in fine arts drives her creative energy to help make the “Bolder Difference” and can be reached at: firstname.lastname@example.org or at 303-449-9595. Bolder Insurance is located in the heart of Old Town Louisville, and can be reached here.
Like Our Blog? Please Share!